About 45 mins drive south, but a million miles away in style from Cancun. We have sent a number of our clients here and all have returned very happy. It is a nice combination of things to see and do with now the added convenience of non-stop flights from the UK.
• Fine beaches.
• The warm Caribbean sea to bathe in and coral reefs for diving and snorkelling on.
• A large variety of things to see, such as the historical Mayan ruins. The most famous being the vast city complex of Chichen Itza; there are also the coastal temples at Tulum which is the closet, plus the huge pyramids poking out of the forest canopy at Choba. Due to the limestone of the peninsular, there are also caves and cenotes to explore, plus a number of eco-theme parks. See below for some links to these.
• Both weekly charter flights; British Airways and Virgin Atlantic flying non-stop. The later can be combined with other trans-Atlantic destinations
• Quinto Avenida is delightful two mile long pedestrian street in Playa Del Carmen, the perfect place for an evening stroll, both safe and vibrant. One end has some stylish boutiques, then further along are mixed together tacky T shirt shops; silver jewellers; bars; cafes and restaurants with strolling Mexican musicians and a carnival atmosphere at night.
• A good selection of different styles of accommodation.
For the accommodation we can suggest:
• A family suitable ‘all inclusive’ resort within walking distance of Playa Del Carmen. It is an unusual design with a jungle like middle with its own wildlife; a large pool complex; a good beach and seperate restaurants to eat in rather than the buffet every night. Not luxury, but of a very good quality and a very nice all round combination. We have had many clients come back from here extremely happy.
• There are a number of very luxurious small resorts along the coast. Many offer private thatched villas and bungalows with their own pool, often these feel like you are on a desert island hideaway. There are quite a number of properties, a good selection, some very small, other with up to 90- odd rooms and each with its own character. We would be delighted to discuss these with you.